Friday, July 25, 2008

Social Experiment

Zion has become very demanding in her requests to watch TV lately. To be honest it is challenging because it is very easy to let her watch TV because it allows me to concentrate on work without having to entertain her and she enjoys watching it. All she has ever watched is PBS and not all that much of it but I decided since she was so insistant on watching it...(in fact a few mornings after she requested juice that was the next thing she said was "TV, watch") that I decided she needed a break. We made it through the whole week with no PBS or kids TV of any kind. The first day she repeatedly said Mommy, TV, or Mommy George (curious george) by the third day I think she only mentioned it once and yesterday I dont think she mentioned it at all. I also noticed that as the week went along she got more creative at entertaing herself instead of constantly needing to be entertained. Above you might think she fell asleep on the floor out of boredom but really she was pretending to go "night night" she said and giggling at the rubber band ball in her hand.
On her own she took a lot of time looking at her books and reading them. Here she is reading her Bible while I was working.
She got these new flashcards which are shapes and colors and she somehow realized she could stick them between the wall and window and put them on display. She was very proud of this and then started telling me what they were.
She loves music and dancing....I could watch her dance all day. She gets very serious. Here she is playing the zither which my family gave to us and singing a song. She makes up the funniest little songs about daddy, ducks and other things to go with her music.
Painting! This kept her busy for a long time while I did work and she did not want to get down when I finally decided she was done. She made quite a few pieces of art! She also made an art project with hearts that spelled out Daddy and today we drew the outline of her body on a big piece of paper and she colored it. I am realizing that she can entertain herself without the TV so I can get work done. I just have to be a little more creative but its worth it to see her have fun and learn so much more experiencing and doing things on her own rather than passively watching TV. I have not decided if and when we will watch PBS again... I really love Mr. Rogers and Zion really does love Curious George and Sesame street but it seems that if I let her watch it at all she wants to keep watching it so I have to think on it some more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All pictures of Zion are so adorable, I love the one of her with the books.

Erin and Bethany said...

You all are such good parents. You're so creative Reba...what a fun idea to have her color an outline of herself. Although it is a little Gangsta's Paradise.... :)

Love you guys and wish so much that we lived closer to be a part of her life.

Grandma S said...

Way to go Reba.

Did you get the package from us?

Anonymous said...

keep her far from the TV. it drains brains.