
The Hidden Art of Homemaking
Edith Schaeffer
When I first looked at this book it did not draw me in. Written in 1971 in a very informal style it was not quite what I thought it would be when I read the description of it on Amazon so I shelved it for awhile. When I finally picked it up and got through the first chapter I felt like I knew Ms. Schaeffer and I was sitting in her living room having a cup of tea while she told me about how she cared for her family and her home.
I came to really enjoy the way she wrote because it was like she is having a conversation with the reader. She offers many practical ideas for purposeful, creative home life all fueled by God's principals. What she has to say in the book matches a lot of what I have been thinking about and learning about lately. She focuses on the importance of being creative and how our creativity points to our creator. She also illustrates how important beauty is but that true beauty is not about buying expensive things for your family and home but rather creating them and creating an environment that matches your families values, passions and lifestyle. She shares projects that she has done essentially making something out of nothing and doing more with less which is not only biblical but also good for the environment. What she is illustrating is living a FULL family life, full of creativity, joy, beauty, art, passion, and purpose. She elevates the home life to a place of great importance and illustrates how even something simple such as fresh flowers in your home can have a widespread impact.
We all have creative abilities but creativity does not just happen it is intentional. She says " the Hidden Art takes time and energy- and the balance of the use of time is a constant individual problem for all of us: what to do, and what to leave undone. One is always having to neglect one thing in order to give precedence to something else. The question is one of priorities.... But- and this needs emphasis- a Christian, above all people, should live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively." We are supposed to be representing and recognizing the creator.
"This is the day of the TV frozen dinner, stuck in an oven, served on a tray in front of the TV set, no conversation, no blessing being said, no person being thanked, because there is no-one in the universe to thank. It is the day of grabbing a bite and going on to the next engagement. The art of living together, of being a family, is being lost, just as the wealth of the earth is being lost by man's carelessness in his ignoring the need for conservation of forests, lakes and seas."
She discusses how creativity and fullness of life in the home can be expressed through music, decorations, painting, sculpting, drawing, gardening, flower arranging, food, writing, drama, recreation, clothing, integration, and environment. It is so easy to miss out on the fullness of life that we can experience in our relationships with God and with our family because we are so busy just surviving and going from one thing to the next. There is so much more, our creator made us to be creative and to enjoy our relationships with one another. This endeavor takes, commitment, effort, and focused priorities to prevent the sucking in of the routine and mundane survival mode but is so much more enjoyable, rewarding and honoring. Represent!
2 comments:
Hi Reba (and Travis and Zion)!
I've been wanting to read this book soon. Glad to hear it was a good one :)
Edith Schaeffer is a good mentor. As a young wife and mother, I was always looking for people who could mentor me. Sometimes I found that someone through books, oftentimes it was through older women in the church.
Reba, Thank you for being such a thoughtful, GROWING wife to my wonderful son and a godly mother to my precious Zion.
Post a Comment