Saturday, July 19, 2008

Boot Camp

This week was the first Praise In Motion Boot camp. I don't remember when or why the idea came to me to have boot camp for our dancers at church but it was evident throughout the week that it was all planned by God. Tammie who is now our Praise In Motion director and I worked hard together to plan this camp. Each evening we met together and brought in different guest teachers to teach Bible study and some type of dance. We started out each night with Bible study then the dance class, then worked on choreography and ended the night with some time for personal meditation where everyone wrote about what they were learning in journals that we gave to them. Tammie also had the awesome idea of ending the week with a ropes course experience. The week flew by and I had a blast and learned a lot so hopefully the girls did too. I think we have come out of the week stronger in our faith, as a team and as dancers. We were really blessed to have some terrific learning experiences. We were exposed to liturgical dance, step, pilates, ballet, and we even went and took a class at the Miami City Ballet on Firday. The girls did a great job and I was really proud of each of them at different moments.

I had never done a ropes course before and it was a really cool experience. I was one of the last people to go along with one of the other adults Vena. I thought it was not that big of a deal and I had no problem getting up the pole but that wire walking was serious and I kept looking down at the young very small (especially from up high) teenagers that were protecting me from falling by holding my rope. We all worked really hard today helping each other out and let me tell you it was hot and we were out there from 9-3. I think we have started a new tradition and we have a lot to live up to if we do this next year. It was so amazing how each day God orchastrated things like only he can. The guests that did Bible study seemed to build on each other day by day even though they did not know what the other one was talking about and every time we had a problem it was worked out so that everything could continue. What a fun exciting week. I know there is a lot of pictures but I could not chose which ones I liked the best.
View from below of two brave ladies on the wire.
This is our dear Jenny who did log walking and climbed all the way up there. And this is her team that was linked to her rope at the waist.



Thats me on the wire. Watching from the bottom you have no idea how much that thing wiggles when you step on it.
We had to meet our partner in the middle of the wire and high five before we went down. Vena and I made it!

Coming down. To me that was the best part.
At the Miami City Ballet following our class. The teacher was very nice and patient with us. She trained at the School of American Ballet and has danced at several different ballet companies around the country. The girls and GUYS learned pirouettes, sautes, pas de chats, and grand jetes! It was challenging but most of them hung in there and did great.
My dear sweet husband Travis brought us all ice cream after the Miami City Ballet class and Zion got in on the fun.
Team building games at the ropes course.
This was our " boat" we had to all get on without it tipping. Tammie, Vena and I tried not to say anything and let the youth figure out how to get everyone on and they did a great job.
Once we were on the boat we all had to move out to the sides without tipping which was not so easy but they designated leaders who did a great job of directing everyone and we did it all successfully!



Step class. I was not to sure how well I would be at step...it has always seemed so fast like something that I would not be good at but I am proud to say I tried and I did not do to bad I think?
With Tiya our step teacher.
Bible study.
Prayer.
Also, one of my favorite parts of the week was that my friend from middle and high school youth group Amanda came and taught a class on Thursday. We grew up together in church and she moved down here not too long ago because her husband got a job in Fort Lauderdale. We had a great time hanging out with them recently and she agreed to come and teach the girls. They loved her and she did a great job of teaching them very valuble tecnique and they have been reminding each other about her posture checklist ever since. It was so neat to have here there! Thats pretty much it. I am looking forward to spending time with Travis and Zion tomorrow but it was a great week.



No comments: