Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Brought to you by the letter T!


The music ministers wife at my church recently asked me if I was teaching Zion the alphabet. This prompted me to realize that I had not even considered teaching her the alphabet. I may have sang the alphabet song once or twice but that is about it. She is a retired teacher and says that they can really learn these things at Zions age. Armed with this new awareness I have considered how I could teach Zion the alphabet naturally. She is a baby after all still so I don't plan on grilling her on her letters or forcing her to study as I am sure she will have plenty of that for a great portion of her life.
So I spontaneously came up with a fun activity involving the alphabet that I have made a habit with out even realizing it. I think this is a great way to teach and to learn...that way you don't even know you are doing it you are just having fun. For some time Zion has had these letters in her bath which mostly she enjoys eating.
My mother was not a fan of sesame street so we did not watch it much but I do remember a few things from it. 1. how to count in spanish which has come in very handy and 2. a little thing they did everyday where they said that the show was brought to you by a particular letter of the day. So I now inform Zion that her bath is brought to her by a particular letter and then I make up a poem with words that start with that letter and I hand her the letter and let her chew away. I think she may enjoy the chewing more than my poems but hey it is good mental exercise for me and at least makes me feel like I am doing something to invest in her future genuis potential.
Today I informed Zion "Todays bath has been brought to you by the letter T. T is for Tub where you sit now so sweetly, T is for Table which we set oh so neetly, T is for Tim your silly ol Uncle, T is for talking which you will do soon, T is for time on the clock in this room, T is for tip that you give to the waiter, T is for Travis your sweet Daddy youll see sooner or later. So its ridicuously silly and I am the worst poet ever but it was spontaneous and went something like that. If you have any better ideas for teaching babies new and important things please pass them along to me. For now I will anticipate tomorrows bath!

2 comments:

Timothy Freeman said...

I am silly and old aren't I?

Hello family!

Amy Boyle said...

OK - I don't mean to complain, but it's been over a week... and we're in need of an updated Zion (Reba and Travis)report....

Though I understand about 'busy lives'.

love Amy (October 3, 2007)