Zion, what a cool gift! She reminds me of a lot of things. She reminds me that I need to work on my patience. She reminds me that I need to work a lot more. She reminds me that sleep is really good. She reminds me that I should really work out my arms a little bit more. She reminds me of many things, but today she reminds me of Joy. I am really glad I have an understanding of joy. Joy is not happiness. I think that Joy is something only God can give. Some people think that they have joy and at the same time they don't believe that God exists. This is contradictory. You see joy is based not on happenstance (which is where the word happiness is derived from) but joy is based on an eternal point of faith. Yes, an eternal point of faith as opposed to an eternal point of view. If it were based on an eternal point of view it would mean that we could actually view eternity, but we can't so it is an eternal point of faith. And yes, no one can deny that they have faith. Everyone has faith. We believe in a lot of things that we cannot prove. Such as plopping down into a chair, turning on the car, eating a green onion. We assume without thought that the chair will hold, the car will turn on, and we won't get hepatitis from the green onion. But when those things fail we get surprised, flustered or even sue. Anyway, joy is an eternal point of faith that calls out to us that no matter the circumstance everything is going to be OK. It's what made Bob Burton's late wife, terminal with cancer and in extreme pain, smile.
So, how does Zion remind me of joy? I just think about all the crappy things I've said or done, or how I've treated other people and even God and I'm still blessed with such a beautiful life. Oh, there are still hardships like paying the bills, dealing with insane people, boredom, debt, fat, and I've had pets die, cars die, friends die, mean family, mean friends, disputes with family, disputes with friends, joblessness, no health insurance, lack of direction, a punch in the face, a hammer to the rear of the car, zits, low self-esteem, etc., etc.; but, through all of that I have had joy. Zion reminds me of joy. Besides look at her face!
No comments:
Post a Comment