Sunday, July 01, 2007

Airway Obstruction

Yesterday for probably only about a second and a half Zion stopped breathing and so did I! She was eating cereal puffs which she loves. Now she has been eating these for some time and she has never had an incident bu lately she has been getting greedy. How do you teach an 8 month old to eat things one at a time? She tries to put a whole fistfull of cereal in her mouth at a time. So she was doing this yesterday and all of a sudden I heard her choke and then I looked over and she was trying to suck in air but she wasn't able to and her face was turing red and blue.
Now I have had so many trainings in first aid and CPR I could not even tell you. Since I used to work at a hospital I was even trained in CPR for healthcare professionals. I even know how to use an AED to shock your heart if you do not have a pulse and I am certified as a member of the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) which is like a community emergency response force for natural disasters and terrorist attacks. I know how to tag dead bodies and to complete triage for severely injured people. But here I was in my kitchen with my baby choking and I froze. Thankfully she managed a cough and coughed it out somehow and then i decided to pat her back. (which does nothing by the way) So my poor little Zion is quite fine and then spent a little while crying on my shoulder. But how scary. In any crisis situation Travis and I are usually the first ones to dive in and do something. Maybe we need to have like choking drills or something. I never knew what it would be like to be a mom and be so attached to a little person. She really is a part of us and I don't know that we could love her any more than we do. We could love her better of course but hopefully we will keep getting better at it. So I resolve to brush up on my CPR and Heimlich skills they have new meaning now.

No comments: