Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cooking Day


I was inspired by the thought of not having to come up with what to make for dinner everyday by myself and the idea of freezing meals. So I invited my family ladies to get together and cook up a storm. It was an experiment. We each brought the ingredients and recipes to make two meals and one other item such as a baked good. We planned it all out ahead of time and started the day nice and early with breakfast and planning at 8:00 a.m.



Conveniently mom happens to have an obsession with vintage aprons so we she dressed us all! This was a lot of chicken to shred...yikes!


We each just went for it with our recipes and helped each other with different elements. Beth made a list of all the things we were making on the chalkboard so we could cross things off as we went along.

Kerani's sweet husband Caleb provided us with important ingredients we forgot especially the above COFFEE! Kerani ran home to pick stuff up and stepped out of her car looking like this just as someone drove by. They probably thought the stepped back into time and were driving by a diner. (:

Lots of onions...lots and lots of onions

We made:

Black Bean Soup
Korean Vegetable Soup
Tortellini Soup
Beef Stew
Pumpkin Soup
Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Sundried Tomato Quinoa
Veggie Burgers
Homemade Buns
Mini Wheat Bread Loaves
Other yummy mini breads (contributed by Nana)
Sweet Potato Empanadas
Spaghetti Sauce
Chocolate Cinnamon Cookie Dough
Lemon Scones
Pumpkin Muffins
Gingerbread Biscotti
Beer Bread Mix



We all went home with a ton of food. I think we agreed it was a success and hope to do it again soon. It simplifies meal planning, from what I can tell it saves money because you can buy bulk ingredients for a couple of meals rather than a lot of different meals and it prevents you from eating out because you have meals on hand. Also, you have things in the freezer so its easy to give a meal to someone in need which I have already gotten to do twice. They have all been very tasty and pretty healthy so far too. We had a great lunch in the middle and got to relax for a bit. I think I could speak for all of us when I say we were spent at the end. Thanks ladies for a great day!

5 comments:

Bev said...

What a fun thing to do, and I'm loving the aprons!

FunMom said...

Invite me to the next one! Looks yummy...and fun! :)

Amy Boyle said...

The recipes sound great! ...and all that production in that small kitchen! ...way to go!

Amy Boyle said...

oh - and I've always loved beets!

Grandma S said...

Sounds fun. Wish I could have been there.