Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Run


Thanks to all who sponsored me in my 5K race. I ran it in under 32 minutes. Not too bad considering the terrain. the last mile was entirely uphill. It was a beautiful course and I'm in good enough shape to appreciate it! I'm used to running on the treadmill, however, so the hills made it tougher than I thought it was going to be.

Seven months ago I never would have imagined myself running in a race. Interestingly enough, I also would not have considered myself out of shape! I weighed 275 lbs, but it was pure hard core muscle! Not so much I found out. I imagine that there will be plenty of people that read this and will not understand the mind of a fat guy, but maybe there will be someone out there that is like me and will be motivated. I think I overcompensated for so long for being fat that I really believed that I was not as fat as I really was. Yeah, 275 is not huge like "Biggest Loser" huge (at least when you are 6'3''), but it ain't small either! I also am pretty strong and can out lift guys that actually look like they're in shape. My work ethic is pretty strong as well, so I'm not lazy by any means. These things allowed me to remain in denial because I could compare myself to other fat people (and some skinny ones) and feel pretty decent about myself.

The Challenge
At Christmas I was given a book and a months worth of groceries and a challenge. As most of you know we have been living with the in-laws since October. Reba's mom was going to cook all of our meals based on the ideas in this book called "The Ultra-Metabolism". Initially, I thought this was going to be ridiculous, and that there was no way I would loose weight, because I didn't really eat unhealthy and I wasn't that fat...just big-boned! But since the entire family (except for Lin) would be going on this month long eating plan I decided to take the plunge. I also thought that I would show everyone up and not loose any weight, so that people would once and for all get off my back about it. I also had been trying to work out again so I went back to the gym to use the elliptical 2-3 times a week at pace of 5-6 miles in 35 minutes. That's a treadmill pace of 3-4 miles in 30 minutes.

On January 1st, I started out at a weight of 268. I think I lost some weight with the whole moving process and I'm not sure why. I wasn't trying. By January 5th I weighed 258 lbs. I was stunned and encouraged. At that point, I bought myself a little application from App Store for iPhone called Weightbot that tracked my progress and measured my BMI. I also set a goal weight of 215 just to see if I could do it. I was now seeing daily progress. In one month I lost 20 lbs. What started out as a month-long challenge became a new way of thinking and a new way of life.

The "Diet"
Our culture is dysfunctional. On one hand we look down on those that let themselves go. We hold "pretty" people up on a pedestal and look to them for leadership and something to aspire too. But on the other hand, we make it extremely difficult to do the things necessary to become pretty people. Yes, some people are blessed with "ultra-metabolisms" and a pretty face. while others have to actually work at it.

One of things I've come to learn is that most of the food in the grocery store does not lend itself to health and neither does our pack-everything-into-as-much-little-time-as-possible lifestyle. If we have no time for the things that count, why are we doing the things that don't? So, I've had to make choices. I think that is the biggest challenge to becoming healthy. The choices you make about what you put into your mouth and what you will do in the next 30 minutes may effect something ten years down the road. Make good choices right now. It may be hard right now, but it will get easier to make the next good choice. The opposite is also true: make a bad decision now and will get easier to make a bad decision the next time. Also true-make a bad decision now and it will get harder to make a good decision next time! I've taught this lesson to so many troubled youth and I wonder if they may have listened to me more if I would have practiced it a little better on the part of life that has been so visible for so many years.

I'm not going to explain to you the diet. You can read the book yourself if you are interested. It will do a much better job explaining the necessity, not just to overweight people, of the importance of making good choices about the food you buy and eat.

I am now at 231 lbs and am so excited to get to my goal. I went from a 42 waist to a 36 and a 48L suit to a 44L; an XXL to an XL. Even my ties fit better! I have not put one ounce of weight back on body through the last six months even though I've gone through a couple of trying times with work and a really big test.

The Run
So, I decided to go for a run. 5K is only about 3 1/4 miles. I've gotten up to 7.5 in a workout, but usually only have time for 3.5 in 35 minutes. I knew I would be able to handle it, but I think the reason I did it was because I wanted to. What!! I wanted to. I hate running! It hurts my bad knees and makes the feet hurt. That's what I used to say. They still hurt, but I'm more mentally tough now than I've ever been in my entire life and pain no longer controls. Good decisions. I ran the race because it sounded fun and it was fun to be there with people that do this for fun. Nobody made me. I am doing this for me.

I was also able to raise $225 for a great program called Y.E.S. Kids. Its a program for youth put on by the Community Development organization or our church in our soon-to-be neighborhood. They mentor youth and require them to get a job and learn a skill while in high school and then give the kids that finish the program a scholarship to college. None of the kids in the program would be able to afford college without it. Its an amazing program and 100% of the proceeds will go to the scholarships. Its not to late to contribute, but your checks have to be to me by the 24th. I will let you know when I get to my initial goal weight and what my next goal will be. I plan on running in a few more races this summer and am working up to a marathon next summer.

I hope that whatever thing is keeping you from slaying your giant that you will wake up and conquer it. For those that don't know...we are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus. Through him we are more than able to do all things. He has come to not only give life, but also to give abundant life. What does that mean for you? I don't know, but you can always ask him.

3 comments:

Grandma S said...

Amazing Travis. So proud of you. It is something how we can deceive ourselves. God has been making you into a strong leader for many years. It is so obvious to me. Dad has been preaching a series since about April called "Facing Your Giants". I need to send you a copy of a couple of the sermons. Did you know you can download his messages each week from our website? www.thepeoplechurch.org

Travis Schenk said...

Dad and I did the study together last year. I will look into downloading them when I get my computer back. Just a couple more weeks now!!! Are they Podcasts?

Bev said...

Fabulous for you Travis - you should be bustin' your buttons proud!