Wednesday, January 21, 2009

3 Weeks Up


In the past I have paid attention to what I ate. I have been a vegetarian for a couple years in high school and college, I have focused on eating low fat. Over the past couple of years I would say that I try to cook and eat healthier than a lot of people but thats not saying much. So many days we just ate whatever was quick and easy especially when we were running back and forth to church and work and playing with Zion. For the past three weeks we have been eating the healthiest that we ever have following the book Ultrametabolism. Now we have had it really easy because my mom has been cooking all of the food and there is a lot of cooking involved but the recipes are pretty easy. Not only is the diet meant to be healthy and to help your metabolism but it integrates foods into your diet that are rich in nutrients and properties that help your body function as it should. Its about being more healthy not just about losing weight which I like.

For the past 30 days we have not eaten any dairy, any refined sugar, any thing containing gluten and very little fat. We did eat a lot of good things we could eat chicken breast, fish, and lamb and we ate lots and lots of fruits and vegetables. We did not eat any pasta or white rice. The hardest thing for me was breakfast because all we could eat was whole grains (and not oatmeal) so we experienced kasha, quinoa and other strange grains I had never heard of. I really also missed dairy and pasta but a lot of the other things I did not miss as much as I thought. I think that it will help us to continue to eat more healthy. Zion even enjoyed trying some of the new things but she continued drinking milk and eating yogurt and some of the other things she usually eats. Oh and did I mention NO COFFEE, that was probably the hardest for Travis. As of Friday we will start putting some of the things that we want to enjoy that are healthy back into our diet. Milk and cheese is first on my list.

3 comments:

Grandma S said...

So, did you lose any weight?

I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Anonymous said...

This sounds interesting. I will definitely check it out in light of Calvin's issues! Zion is so cute, and she absolutely has the prettiest smile I've ever seen!

Elsie D. said...

Awwwww miss you guys especially Zion. Missing out on watching her grow, I can't believe how beautiful and long her hair has gotten.