I have always gotten excited about getting a good deal and rarely pay full price for anything just ask my dad. However, lately I have been shopping with an even fonder appreciation for a deal and my idea of what is a deal has gotten more critical. Thanks to encouragement from one friend (she knows who she is (-:) http://mamashomeschool.blogspot.com/ I have learned more ways to stretch our dollars so we can free up every little bit possible to pay off debt and save for future goals and plans.
We have gotten pretty excited around here about the money we are saving. After months of going over on the grocery budget I am proud to say that we have brought it under $300 which includes all diapers, wipes, toiletries, household products, food for hungry teenagers that we spend time with and hungry friends that come by for visits and Bible study. I think that we can do even better in the coming months as well.
My goal is to shop wisely, buying only what I need not buying things just because they are cheap, planning ahead to avoid buying things at full price, buying generic or store brand and sales without compromising quality and nutritional value, still eating a variety of fresh and healthy foods that we like not packaged and processed foods, and to do this all as inexpensively as possible without spending too much time focusing on it. Here are a few things that have helped me.
1. For a long time I have always planned out my meals ahead of time usually for two weeks and I developed a cute sheet on my computer that has my grocery list and my meal plans for the two weeks. On this I plan out the list based on what I need and what I will be making. I then reduce impulse purchases and can plan ahead to look for deals on what I need to buy. After I take the paper shopping I place it on the fridge so I can remember what the meal options are.
2. Before I go shopping I check for coupons online and sometimes in the paper for what I need to buy. Sometimes I also check the store flyer and if something is a great deal I work it into my menu.
3. When I go shopping I only (or at least try to only) buy what is on my list. The list is organized by section of the store which saves me time as well because I am almost always shopping with Zion and the shorter the better.
4. When it comes to diapers and other such items I buy them in large quantities and always use coupons.
5. I have learned how to save money by getting a lot of things for free at CVS. At first it was a little intimidating and I thought the idea of figuring out how to get free things there was more work than it was worth but after going only a couple of times it is really quite easy and I am able to get virtually all of our toiletries and other fun things for free. If you want to learn more about this visit http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ She also has a lot of other money saving ideas.
6. We are not picky. We do not have to have certain brands or shop at certain stores. As long as it is healthy and good quality we are game. Flexibility saves money.
7. The old advice helps. Don't go shopping hungry (or here in Florida thirsty, one time I came out of the store with like 8 different types of beverages without realizing it).
If you have any great other ideas about how to save money on groceries we are always looking for new ideas so we can work towards these financial goals more quickly.
Have a wonderful weekend!
2 comments:
That is so ironic. We are shopping at CVS too. A friend told us about moneysavingmom. It's pretty amazing!
Once again I most say, I am so proud of you guys. Keep up the gopod work and i promise it only gets easier from now. As long as you stick to your goals and pray about major purchases you'll see the finance thing does get easier.
Post a Comment