
If you have ever been to Whole Foods perhaps you will understand what I am talking about. We have developed a love/hate relationship. Loving the different little unique treasures that are nestled into the shelves but hating the shock at the register. I can go to Publix our local grocery store and come out with a whole cart of groceries for $50.00 but at Whole Foods I am lucky if I can get a bag full. Part of the problem is the interesting things at Whole Foods that just becon "try me" try me" or "I am good for you, eat me". The other part of the problem is that their food is just stinking expensive. Yes it may be organic and even taste better but is it really worth 3-4 times the price? We went there just to grab something to eat from their pre-made foods section the other day. I had a cup of soup and a piece of bread, Travis had vegetable sushi and the sticker shock was $20.00! I could have gotten this somewhere else for like $8.00. I love the baby products especially the soap that makes Zion smell delicious, the spritzers that taste better than soda, the gingersnaps which I can eat a whole box full of in one day, the lowfat strawberry granola with organic vanilla yogurt, the pretty juicy fruits and organic broccoli really tastes better! I could go on and on. I also like the idea I can go there and know there are not all kinds of weird chemicals in my food. But alas our budget says the love affair must end. The budget calls. If I did all my shopping at Whole Foods I would be homeless. There has to be a way to enjoy shopping for groceries, eat healthy, and not go bankrupt. If you figure it out let me know. For now it is back to Publix, the bright white isles, elevator music, and the produce section tucked back in the corner where most people don't notice it.
4 comments:
Hello, friend. I think that my sister and my mom have both had love/hate relationships with Whole Foods. I'm still just a Walmart Girl. I can see the addictive possibilities though. Probably best for me to just steer clear; you know my slight problem (obsession) with "products".
Love ya, Les
Rebes:
Although I'm sure my shopping experience in lander, Wyoming is way different. I have learned that the meat manager marks down meat usually first thing in the morning (based on the date stamp) and if you're there while they're doing the mark down, you can get some really good deals...just need to freeze it that day. Also, if you can find out what day(s) of the week the fresh produce is delivered, you're ensured better freshness.
Safeway will have buy one get one free, of many staple items which is great savings!
- amy
We just went to Whole Foods last Sunday for the first time in several years. I started at the beginning of this budget, with cash in hand, but the veggies we bought were $100 and lunch was $24. No more Whole Foods - I'm with you - it's just ridiculously expensive and it is only food after all. How can I justify spending that when others dont have enough to even eat? I dont think it's just a matter of the cost, but rather how far do we go to satisfy every whim of ours?
hey there!
i know that you posted this a while ago, but i'm getting caught up on people's lives since i've been away all summer.
if you still want to buy organic, do so on the items that it really matters with--such as fruits and veggies that you eat the skins on or that you don't peel. that way the weird chemicals that you may be worried about are left behind on what you don't eat. also...organic meat and milk are kinda bunk. now that i've learned the in's and out's of the ag industry....meat and milk raised conventionally don't have antibiotics or hormones or anything else weird in them....there are federal regulations against it. so be assured the conventional meat and milk are the same in composition as the "natural" and organic items.
and yes....often the budget dictates what we eat-- hence why i eat chicken at least 4 times a week :-)
miss you guys!
Post a Comment